MNSure is a marketplace where Minnesotans can shop, compare and choose health insurance coverage that meets their needs.
MNSure offers multiple health plans from insurance companies all in one easy-to-shop location. Consumers can compare plans side-by-side.
MNSure is also the only place you can go to see if you qualify for federal tax credits to help with your insurance premiums. Income guidelines are below.
Open enrollment begins November 1, 2023 and ends December 15, 2023 for January 1 coverage and enroll by January 15 for February 1 coverage.
MA and MNCare can be applied for anytime during the year.
ICCC has a certified navigator on staff to assist you with your applications and renewals.
See how you can benefit by visiting MNsure.org, or call 1-888-778-4008 to schedule an appointment.
We have offices in Oklee, McIntosh, Bagley, and Thief River Falls. Evening appointments are also available.
New Opportunity To Enroll Through MNsure for Minnesotans With Unaffordable Job-Based Family Health Insurance
Special enrollment period open through October 31, 2023
ST. PAUL, Minn.—MNsure, Minnesota’s health insurance marketplace, is offering a special enrollment period (SEP) for Minnesotans who are currently enrolled in unaffordable family insurance through an employer with a renewal date other than January 1.
Under a new IRS rule, related household members who are covered by a family member’s employer-sponsored health insurance may be newly eligible to receive advanced premium tax credits through MNsure that lower the cost of private health plans. As a result, some eligible household members may be able to find a better deal on health insurance by shopping for a private plan through MNsure and saving on monthly premiums with a tax credit.
“Choosing the right health insurance for your family is an important decision,” said MNsure CEO Libby Caulum. “We strongly encourage all interested families to take advantage of free help from a MNsure-certified broker who can help you understand your options and make an informed choice.”
MNsure has a set of online tools to help consumers:
- Use our Employer Insurance Affordability Estimator to see whether your family’s current coverage may be unaffordable
- Check out our Plan Comparison Tool to get an estimate for what a private health plan through MNsure may cost, including any financial help you may be eligible to receive
- Search for a MNsure-certified broker who can provide free enrollment help and give advice about picking a plan that best meets your needs
Interested families should not end their current employer-sponsored family coverage until they receive an official eligibility determination from MNsure. Details about the SEP are available on the MNsure website: Unaffordable Non-Calendar-Year Family Insurance Through an Employer. This SEP closes on October 31, 2023.
A time-limited special enrollment period (SEP) is available to individuals who are enrolled in unaffordable non-calendar-year family insurance through an employer (health insurance offered to an employee’s spouse or dependent children that does not renew on January 1 of the calendar year).
Eligible individuals may voluntarily end their current family employer coverage, before the plan’s renewal month, and enroll in private coverage through MNsure and save on premiums with a tax credit.
IMPORTANT: Do not end your family employer-sponsored insurance while waiting to receive an official eligibility determination from MNsure. If you have questions about your options between employer-sponsored insurance or coverage through MNsure you can get free help from a MNsure-certified broker.
Who is Eligible
To qualify for this SEP, an individual must meet ALL the following criteria:
- Eligible to purchase a private qualified health plan (QHP) through MNsure.
- Last day of coverage under an employer’s non-calendar-year family plan is during this SEP's time frame (April 17-October 31).
- Does not have access to or is unable to enroll in affordable employee-only or family employer-sponsored insurance at the time of applying for this SEP. (The Employer Insurance Affordability Estimator gives estimates on whether family employer-sponsored insurance may be considered unaffordable.)
- Eligible for a monthly advanced premium tax credit (APTC) amount greater than $0 effective the first day of the month after their last day of coverage through their unaffordable non-calendar-year family employer plan (MNsure’s shop and compare tool gives estimates on eligibility for APTC.)
- This SEP is open from April 17, 2023, through October 31, 2023.
- SEP window: 30 days before and 30 days after the individual's last day of family employer-sponsored coverage.
- When coverage starts: The first day of the month following the date a plan was selected through MNsure, but not before the first day of the month after the month in which employer-sponsored health coverage ends.
Apply for this SEP
To apply for this SEP, call our Contact Center at 651-539-2099 (855-366-7873 outside the Twin Cities).
MNsure is Minnesota's health insurance marketplace where individuals and families can shop, compare and choose health insurance coverage that meets their needs. MNsure is the only place you can apply for financial help to lower the cost of your monthly insurance premium and out-of-pocket costs. Most Minnesotans who enroll through MNsure qualify for financial help.
|207 Main Street